STATEMENT OF FAITH
Sierra Bible Church
To follow Jesus and to make Disciples, understanding that a disciple is someone who Lives as Jesus Lived…Loves as Jesus Loved…Leaves Behind what Jesus Left Behind. (Matthew 28:16-20).
We follow Jesus and make disciples for His Glory (Ephesians 1:11-12) through the teachings of His Word (II Timothy 3:16-17) with an attitude of being on His Mission (John 20:21-22).
Our Statement of Faith
- We believe that the Bible is the Holy Word of God, and that it is inspired by the Holy Spirit and is profitable for teaching, reproof, correction and training in righteousness (II Timothy 3:15-17). It is our creed. We believe that it is alive and active (Hebrews 4:12) and that it is the only absolute guide for life and conduct that we have. It is pure and total Truth and has the power to change lives (John 7:17, Romans 10:17, Deuteronomy 8:3). We believe the Old and New Testaments to be inerrant as originally given, that they were verbally inspired by God and are a complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men. They constitute the divine and only rule of Christian faith and practice (II Peter 1:20 & 21).
- We believe that there is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4) who is infinitely perfect; who reveals Himself in the persons of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one in substance and purpose, co-equal and co-eternal, yet are different in position and authority (John 14:28, John 16:7). We do not believe that the Father and Son are the same person…or that the Holy Spirit is just the force of God…for we see that the Bible makes clear distinctions between each of them. These three wonderful manifestations are eternally the one true and living God. Therefore we adhere with all our hearts to what the Bible historians have called “The Doctrine of the Trinity” (Matthew 28:19, Luke 3:22, Matthew 3:16 & 17).
- We believe that Jesus Christ is true God and true man. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died upon the cross, the Just for the unjust, as a substitutionary sacrifice, and all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood. He rose from the dead according to the scriptures. He is now at the right hand of Majesty on high as our great High Priest (Philippians 2:5-11, Luke 1:36- 38, I Peter 3:18, Hebrews 2:9, Romans 5:9, Acts 2:23 & 24, Hebrews 8:1).
- We believe that the Holy Spirit is a divine person, sent to indwell, guide, teach, empower the believer, and to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and of judgment (John 14:15-18, John 16:3, Acts 1:8, John 16:7-11). We believe that Jesus also promised and sent the Holy Spirit into the world to empower true believers to be good and faithful witnesses to His glory and purpose (John 16:8, Luke 24:49, Isaiah 43:10, Acts 1:8, 1:1-4).
- We believe that man was originally created in the image and likeness of God; that he fell through disobedience, incurring thereby both physical and spiritual death. All men are born with a sinful nature, are separated from the life of God, and can be saved only through the atoning work of the Lord Jesus Christ (Genesis 1:27, Romans 3:23, John 1:29, I John 2:2).
- We believe that one is saved only by faith in Jesus’ finished work on the cross. This finished work will be evidenced by a changed life and a heart that desires to please God in all things (James 2:14-26). We also believe in the security of the believer and that one who has been truly born again cannot lose that salvation (John 10:22-30).
- We believe in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 12, Romans 12) and that true believers can and will be empowered by these gifts as the Spirit wills (I Corinthians 12: 7 & 11). We believe that these gifts are for the edification or the building up of the Body of Christ, that we may have power to be witnesses of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus (Acts 1:8). We do not believe that any particular gift is evidence of the Spirit-filled life but that the fruit of one’s life bears witness to that filling (Matthew 7:16, Galatians 5:22 & 23).
- We believe that Jesus Christ will physically again return to the earth, “Coming on the clouds with great power and glory along with multitudes of His saints” (Matthew 24:27 & 30, I Thessalonians 3:13). This time, though, He will not be coming to save the world or to offer salvation, but He will be coming to judge the world and avenge the honor of His Father and the blood of all those “who died for the testimony of God” (Revelation 6:9 & 10, 20:14 & 15, 14:11,17:14). We believe that there shall be a bodily resurrection of the just and of the unjust; for the former, a resurrection unto life, for the latter, a resurrection unto judgment (I Corinthians 15:20-23, John 5:28 & 29).
- We believe that the Church consists of all those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, are redeemed through His blood, and are born again of the Holy Spirit. Christ is the Head of the Body, the Church, which has been commissioned by Him to go into all the world as a witness, preaching the gospel to all nations. We believe that the local church is a body of believers in Christ who are joined together for the worship of God, for edification through the Word of God, for prayer, fellowship, the proclamation of the Gospel, and the observance of the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper (Ephesians 1:22 & 23, Matthew 28: 28 & 29, Acts 2:41-47).